How to Plan a School Dance and 10 Prom Theme Ideas
As we head into spring, prom season is fast approaching. In fact, National Promposal Day is Wednesday, March 11! While we don’t have a ton of advice on how to ask your date to the big event, we do have some ideas on how to plan a school dance fit for 2020. There are many factors that go into making it a night to remember. The best place to start is choosing prom theme ideas.
At Hicks, we are lucky enough to work with several local schools, helping to decorate and plan their prom experiences. We understand that it isn’t just any school dance and collaborate with planning committees to ensure it’s a night to remember. Below are some tips to help ensure your event be one for the ages.
Prom Theme Ideas
The theme of a dance is one of the most important elements. It informs the décor, the vibe, and even the location at times. Below are 10 prom theme ideas we’re seeing a lot of in 2020.
- Great Gatsby/The 1920s
- Go for Gold/Sparkle Soiree
- A Night in Venice
- Old Hollywood Glamour
- Come Sail Away
- Cosmic/Outer Space
- Viva Las Vegas
- Enchanted Forest
- Cirque de *Insert School Name*
How to Plan a School Dance
Once you narrow down your prom theme ideas and select a winner, it is time to focus on the details. The first thing you’ll want to do is gather a committee of parents, teachers, and students to help facilitate planning and offer up unique opinions. There are several key items you will need to make a determination on before you send out invitations and start selling tickets.
- Venue – Choose a location that will hold the number of people you estimate will attend, plus 15% more. Be sure it has a suitable area for a dance floor and stage.
- Catering – Decide on refreshments that match your theme and will easily feed a large number of people. Remember to take dietary restrictions into consideration.
- Entertainment – Choose musicians or a DJ to host the event. This is where checking with students comes in handy. Ask them what type of music and even specific songs they are hoping to hear.
- Rentals – Select rentals to match your theme. You’ll need everything from tables and chairs to wall hangings and dance floor. Don’t forget a set up for perfect photos!
With all of these factors decided, you will be on the right track to plan an amazing event! Now that you know how to plan a school dance, let us help! Contact a Hicks event specialist today to reserve your rentals. Ask about our woodshop for custom-made décor!
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!